Friday, April 8, 2011

Random Thoughts On A Few Upcoming Movies

Alright, I have some random thoughts on a couple of upcoming films. Since my random and possibly incoherent thoughts are not long enough to stand alone as separate blog posts, I’ve lumped ‘em all together for a Friday blog post round-up extravaganza.

Much has been written about Hollywood’s obsession with remakes. Some of them turn out pretty good (3:10 to Yuma) and some (most) don’t work out so well. But, of all the movies to remake, do we really need an updated Arthur? Since, for some reason Russell Brand seems to be the current “it” boy when it comes to “comedy,” I guess it was inevitable. The film is getting awful reviews. Now, I have to admit I’ve never seen a (live action) film Brand has made, but he seems to always play the same character. He’s a one note guy, and I’m guessing his star will fade fairly quickly. After all, the obnoxious, depraved role he plays in just about everything is only humorous for a few minutes…alright; it’s not really ever funny. But, my guess is audiences will soon tire of it.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a post about hoping quality faith based movies would be made. While Soul Surfer isn’t the comedy I was requesting in my blog, it does look to be a decent movie with a great message. And the best part: it does not feature Gary Busey fighting the Anti-Christ! Come to think of it, I think it’s actually a Christian film not about the End Times. I hope it does great at the box office, and I wish all the best to those who made this picture. Betahny Hamilton, the girl the film is based on, seems like a great kid. God bless her for spreading the Word and being a great role model.

After forty plus years of trying to bring Atlas Shrugged to the big screen, it’s finally arriving next week. First of all, let me say I’m all for a movie with a conservative message. The liberals throw in their leftist world view all the time, so I say all is fair in ideological cinema. But, I probably won’t see Atlas. I hope it does great at the box office, but I just don’t have an interest in the project. I’m not a huge Ayn Rand fan, even though my politics lean pretty dang libertarian (however Rand was off on some pretty big stuff!). But, the plot just doesn’t look that fascinating to me. And the book it’s based on is so long, it will take three movies just to tell the story. I’m fine with that. What I’m not fine with is them leaving me hanging with part one, and then not producing the other two films! If this thing bombs at the box office, it will be a death sentence for the other two projects. And yes, I realize the irony that I would maybe watch it later if all three get made and the story comes to a conclusion, but my lack of seeing it in the theater may prevent that from happening. I always thought Atlas Shrugged veered into the science fiction and speculative fiction genres, but the previews seem to make the film look like a straight forward movie about warring corporations. And something about trains. I’m not sure. Maybe I’m wrong and it’s an engrossing story, but it just doesn’t have me interested as of now. It does look to be well made. But, the source material itself is not an easy sell, and not because of the political overtones which many Americans agree with. The story seems to be a vehicle to expound philosophy, and appears to be “heavy.” When my wife and I go to the movies for date night, I don’t want philosophy or politics (right or left). I want a good movie. We want to be entertained. I just don’t get that vibe from Altus Shrugged.

No comments:

Post a Comment