Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Western Movie News Round Up

I love westerns. Always have. I guess it’s because I have fond memories of being with my Grandpa while he watched John Wayne classics, or because I was exposed to reruns of Rawhide every afternoon after kindergarten (we didn’t have cable, and had five channels-it was Rowdy Yates versus soap operas, so you can guess which one won). Anyway, I search the internet constantly looking for a lead on any new westerns being made. It’s rare I find anything. For some reason, the once great genre has fallen out of favor. So, I have taken it upon myself, as a service to humanity, to regularly report any news I find on upcoming westerns. So, check back often as I’ll update the blog anytime I get good news.

There are a couple of westerns in the works. The most promising, in my opinion, is a retelling of the classic television series The Big Valley. The film is being distributed by 20th Century Fox. It was due to be released this spring, but a recent message on their Facebook page stated filming is on hiatus until May, and the film should be finished this fall. However, another source reported the filming will resume in August. Either way, it will most likely be 2012 before we see the film. I cannot get word on if it will have a theatrical run, or will be direct to DVD. Jessica Lange will be playing the matriarch Victoria Barkley. The film also has some veteran actors like Bruce Dern, and even Lee Majors will have a small role in the film. I hope they make it a bit edgier than the show, throwing in a few more gunfights. The series was essentially a soap opera set in the old west, but maybe the movie will be updated a bit. Let’s hope they don’t update it, however, by adding offensive content. Time will tell. It will be good to see ol’ Bruce Dern back in the saddle again.

The biggest western news to come across the web recently is the fact that Quentin Tarantino is making a western. The majority of folks talking about this seem to think it will be the greatest movie ever made. There is a lot of excitement over this project. I guess I’m in the minority. I’m worried Tarantino will add an excessive level of foul language and over the top violence, as he seems to do in every movie he’s ever made. Tarantino has made no secret that he’s a fan of spaghetti westerns (I am not, for the most part) so I’m sure the film will pay homage to that genre. We’ll see how this one plays out, but I’m not holding my breath. If you would like to know more about this project, click here to read a story published this morning.

The excellent 2010 film, True Grit, finally has a Blu-ray/DVD release date! It will be hitting stores on June 7, 2011. I’m not sure why it’s taking so long for the movie to hit the home video market, but it’s well worth the wait.

That’s all the western news I have for now. Hopefully I’ll here soon of a new project in the works, and will be able to report .


No comments:

Post a Comment